Coiste na dTuismitheoirí (Parents Committee/Association)
The Coiste na dTuismitheoirí is the Parents Committee/Association at Gaelscoil an Ghoirt Álainn.
Membership is open to parents, teachers and staff of Gaelscoil an Ghoirt Álainn working together to create the best possible learning environment for all children attending the school.
How to join the Coiste
All parents are invited to be part of the Coiste na dTuismitheoirí.
An Annual General Meeting (AGM) is held every Sept/Oct to which parents are invited. Parents interested in joining the Coiste are asked to attend this meeting and volunteer their names and contact details. The first meeting of the Coiste is held soon after at which the committee for the forthcoming year is elected.
If you would like to join the Coiste but are/were unable to attend the AGM email Secretary Deirdre de Barra @ firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the list. You can join at any point during the year.
How often does the Coiste meet?
Meetings are held at the school once a month throughout the year (usually on Thursdays).
The Coiste always enourages the use of Irish but meetings are held through the medium of English to include all parents.
How else could I be involved?
You do not need to join the Coiste to be involved as a parent. We run two main events during the year, the School Disco and Christmas Market (Margadh Geimhridh). If you have any skills that could be used for these events, we would really welcome your help! Examples include:
- Event planning and organising
- Graphic design for making flyers or banners
- Irish writing/translating (for Coiste website/flyers)
- Cookery, musical or arts & crafts skills for the Margadh Geimhridh
- Face painting, nail art, juggling and animal balloon making
- DJ Skills or access to DJ audio visual equipment
- and of course new fundraising ideas always welcome!
This is just an example. If you have any other skills or access to resources or equipment that we could use for fundraising events we would love to know about it. Email email@example.com
Responsibilities of the Coiste include the following:
- Planning and managing the annual programme of activities for the Coiste in partnership with the school (e.g. Margadh Geimhridh, School Disco and Uniform Sale)
- Communicating and consulting with the Principal and the Board of Management (usually directly to the Principal or elected Parents Reps on the board)
- Communicating and involving parents – members and non-members of the Coiste ( via AGM, Coiste monthly meetings and minutes, Class Reps texts/emails/WhatsApp, Facebook and Coiste section of the website)
- Fundraising for the school (e.g. raffles and events such as the School Disco)
- Working with the Board of Management to maintain the values of An Foras Pátrúnachta (the school patron) and Educate Together
- Adhering as closely as possible to National Parents Council (NPC) guidelines to which we are affiliated
- Supporting the school activities in any way we can (e.g. Ceolchoirm, Enrolment Night, Science Week and 6th Class School Tour)
Roles currently held are as follows:
Chairperson: Lorraine O’Neill
Vice Chairperson: Ronan Leech
Secretary: Deirdre de Barra
Vice Secretary: Ger Coughlan
Treasurer: Niall Walsh
Vice Treasurer: Lorraine O’Brien
Class Rep Co-ordinator: Kasi Stevens/Lorraine O’Brien
School Secretary: Lisa McCarthy
Teachers’ Rep: Múinteoir Noirin
BOM Parents’ Reps: Greg Hayes & Nicola Wallace